Thursday, January 19, 2012

How do I get better gas mileage wig a stick shift?

I drive a 2004 bmw x3 in a stick and I was wondering how to improve my gas mileage. I am fairly new to stick shifts and can never get as good of gas milege as when my dad drives he can always get 5 to 6 mpg better than me. Is there a trick that I'm just missing? ThanksHow do I get better gas mileage wig a stick shift?
Drive like there is an egg between your foot and the gas pedal. Whether stick or automatic. Gentle acceleration (and braking) is critical to good MPG. You want to keep the load on the engine as even as possible, and keep the gear as high as possible for the speed (without "tractoring" the engine, like going up a hill at 30 in 5th).



Other than that, small stuff, like never idle more than 30 seconds -- especially a cold engine. A car will warm up in 2 minutes driving, or 15 minutes idling. Remember, warm or cold, idling gets zero MPG. Group your driving tasks, don't drive to onechore, wait two hours then another drive, etc. Plan to do all the driving in 1 or 2 trips so the engine stays warm.How do I get better gas mileage wig a stick shift?
shift as soon as possible

be in the highest gear as you can



dont floor it all the time

No comments:

Post a Comment