Thursday, January 12, 2012

Gas mileage?

i've heard that if you add acetone (paint thinner) to your tank 3 ounces to 10 gallons it will improve your mileage up to 6 - 8 mpg gasoline or deisel engines has any tried this or know if it worksGas mileage?
That is rediculous. It may clean up carbon deposits in your fuel system. It also may eat the seals in your fuel system. Don't put anything in your fuel if it isn't found in the automotive section of a store. If you want to improve your fuel mileage, I have some helpful hints. Driving habits will improve fuel mileage, but I hate granny drivers so here are some better alternatives.



Use a good fuel system cleaner. Two I suggest are Berryman's B12 Chemtool, and Seafoam. These will get you pretty quick results if you run it every couple or three tanks. With fuel prices as they are, all fuel stations are getting generic fuel, and it is not a very good quality fuel. So you need to regularly run some treatment in your fuel. Stay away from STP and like brands, they are too diluted to be effective. Rule of thumb, if it doesn't smell strong, it isn't. Except for Lucas. Lucas has a mild scent, but it works great in deisel engines.Gas mileage?
dream on it won't help.Gas mileage?
Never heard of it. But I'd be inclined to disbelieve it. It may have harmful effects on plastic parts in your fuel system. Wouldn't recommend trying it unless you have a car you don't care about.
home made fuel additives rarely work and are often harmful to your engine. I use a product called BG44K that cleans out my fuel system and gives me 3-4 extra miles per gallon but I can only use it once in a while or it will burn out my gaskets like the acetone probably would.

No comments:

Post a Comment